For that reason, you’ll want to make sure that emergency services are notified as soon as possible. When you speak to the dispatch operator, make sure to tell them that your car is blocking traffic so that they know to send an officer to direct traffic immediately.
What to do if car breaks down on motorway?
What to do if you break down on the motorway
- Pull over safely. Ideally, leave the motorway at the next exit or pull into a service area. …
- Don’t stay in your car. You want to get you and your passengers safely away from the passing traffic. …
- Phone for help. …
- Return to your car, but stay outside it.
Do you call the police if you break down on motorway?
If you feel as though it is an emergency situation and you cannot leave your vehicle, then call the police. The police will be able to advise you on what to do next and will be able to bring you to safety and control the traffic.
What to do if car breaks down on busy road?
What to Do When Your Car Breaks Down
- Turn on Your Hazard/Emergency Lights. …
- Slow Down and Pull off the Road. …
- Turn Your Wheels Away from the Road and Put on the Emergency Brake. …
- Stay in Your Vehicle. …
- Be Visible. …
- Set up Flares or Triangles. …
- Call for Help. …
- Consider a Roadside Assistance Membership Plan.
What should you do if you breakdown on a motorway UK?
If you get into trouble on a motorway – go left
Enter the next emergency area, or hard shoulder. Put your hazard lights on. Get behind a safety barrier where there is one – keep well away from moving traffic. Call National Highways on 0300 123 5000, then a breakdown provider for help.
Who do you call if you break down on a smart motorway?
Once the Regional Traffic Control Centre is aware of your situation they will be able to close lanes and will send help in the form of the police or traffic officers. If your car is stranded in a live lane, call 999 for emergency help, then contact your breakdown cover provider.
Where do you stand when your car breaks down on the motorway?
What to do if you break down on a smart motorway
- Get to an emergency refuge area (ERA)
- If you can’t, try to get to the leftmost lane.
- If it’s safe, exit your car on the left and wait behind the barrier.
- If you break down in a live lane, stay in the car with your seat belt on.
- Call for help.
What to do if you break down with no hard shoulder?
If your vehicle has a problem on a motorway with no hard shoulder:
- Move into the left hand lane and put your hazard lights on.
- Exit at the next junction or services OR.
- Follow the orange SOS signs to an emergency area and call for help using the free telephone. This will tell us your location.
Can I leave my broken down car?
Call the local authorities and let them know that your vehicle has broken down. … Some states will tow an abandoned vehicle after 48 hours; the police department in your area will tell you how long you can leave your car unattended before the law gets involved.
What circumstances require you to notify the DVLA?
Telling DVLA about a medical condition or disability
- diabetes or taking insulin.
- syncope (fainting)
- heart conditions (including atrial fibrillation and pacemakers)
- sleep apnoea.
What happens if your car breaks down on a road trip?
Most roadside assistance companies will tow your vehicle to a nearby shop and offer you and your passengers transportation to a local hotel. Depending on your insurance policy, your accommodations may also be covered.
What if my car breaks down on a road trip?
Call Roadside Assistance
Now that you and the vehicle are in a safe location, you’ll need to call someone to come get the vehicle (and you). If you have roadside assistance through AAA, a warranty or an insurance provider, it is time to give them a ring! If not a tow truck for hire is what you need.
What do you say when someone’s car breaks down?
Here are some of the best things to say.
- “I’m Glad You’re Okay” Car accidents are not easy for anyone involved. …
- “I’m Here For You if You Need Anything” …
- “How Are You Feeling?” …
- “What Can I Do for You?” …
- “Don’t Be So Upset. …
- “You Should [Insert Advice]”
Can I get breakdown cover if I have already broken down?
Can you buy breakdown cover after breaking down? You can’t buy breakdown cover online if you’ve already broken down. However, you can phone a breakdown provider and get immediate emergency cover after breaking down. They will then send someone to repair or tow your car, but this will come at an extra cost.